Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Wind Through the Keyhole, and A Few Other Things....

In sixth grade, I was at loss one day when I had just finished my current book and I had no idea what to read next. As I couldn't think of anything seeing as how I had read just about every book my sisters had, I went to my mom. When I asked her, she thought about it, (I honestly think she might have just briefly forgotten) and then told me to go downstairs to the bookshelf and find a book by Stephen King called The Gunslinger. I thought it sounded kind of weird, and I had only ever read one or two books by Stephen King, but what I had read was good, so I decided to go along with it.
Now, if you had seen my mom's bookshelf, you would understand why I returned to her about 10 minutes later explaining that I couldn't find it. She patiently followed me downstairs and we looked and looked through the unorganized shelves until finally we found it. My first impression was that it looked really old, and that I didn't want to read it, but I figured I'd give it a try.
In the course of a year, maybe a little more, I read all seven of the Dark Tower Books, getting more and more into (not the word I was looking for, but it will work) the story. I started somewhere in the middle of 6th grade, and finished around Christmas break in 7th grade. Oh, and don't worry, there aren't going to be any spoilers on here in the pure chance that there is a newcomer to the Dark Tower books actually reading this, but it's really unlikely.
Anyway, if you are a Stephen King fan, you know that he recently, as in last week, released his new book, The Wind Through the Keyhole. I haven't read the whole thing, but I'm about 60 pages in, and I love the story. It's a Dark Tower related book, and tells yet another story from the gunslinger Roland of Gilead, and a story inside of his.
The first seven Dark Tower Books captivated me, and now that Stephen King has written another one, Dark Tower 4.5 as he likes to call it, I feel like I get to visit another part of my favorite story.Whenever I read a new book, I feel like I'm actually in the story, like I get to go on the characters' adventures with them. However, the story of Roland and his Ka-tet isn't a new one, I just get to hear a new part. :)
So basically, this long rant has been to say that I'm really excited to have something of my choosing to read, and that it's part of one of my favorite series from one of my favorite authors. In addition to his new book, I have also started reading The Stand (also by him), and I have three other books to read (one of which is for school). I LOVE having books to read, and even though it makes me feel like I have stuff to do, which stresses me out, I know that I will have reading material for QUITE a while, and that is one of my favorite things. So, if you're reading this, what is your favorite book? Your favorite author? ... I always love to hear what different people love to read, especially when their answers surprise me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment