Monday, May 07, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

* Note: if you haven't read Divergent yet, or are in the process of reading it, don't read this review. DON'T READ IT.

Imagine a world where the community you live in was based on characteristics and values. In this futuristic version of Chicago, turning 16 has an entirely different meaning. When Tris Prior turns 16 and chooses her faction, many are shocked at her choice. Starting in the selfless faction of Abnegation, and switching to Dauntless has only been heard of one other time. Months later, on the day of the Dauntless initiation ceremony, Tris should be celebrating, but instead, war between the factions has broke out, and she's fighting for her and many others' lives. Erudite leader, Jeanine Matthews lead an attack against the Abnegation, and now all the factions are at war, picking sides. When the truth is told, and secrets are revealed, Tris may lose everything she's fought for. In the looming war, choices will become more irrevocable and more powerful, sides will be chosen, and above all, the truth will be heard.
When I first read the first book of this trilogy, I couldn't read it fast enough. I was completely enveloped in the story, and I was not disappointed to have the same experience with Insurgent. I'm always worried when sequels come out because it's usually a hit or miss with them. Insurgent however, hit the bulls-eye. I completely loved all the different twists and turns the book took, and I was not disappointed with the story at all.
The main characters are very dynamic, and fascinating. Tris, a strong-headed, brave, selfless transfer from Abnegation into Dauntless has to fight for everything she knows and loves, all because of one word: Divergent. Tobias, also known as Four, is a nearly fearless, brave, caring, and one of Tris's weak spots. The cause of the war? None other than Jeanine Matthews, a heartless Erudite representative who starts a war among the factions by turning people into mindless soldiers against their will.
One of my favorite quotes from the book is, "We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us." I like this quote because I think it represents the book really well, and also has a really strong meaningful meaning. My other favorite quote from the books is, " No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens." This is my other favorite quote because it's true. Even though you train something into someone, it may not work, and the only way to find out is for something drastically real to happen, like a war in this book.
Overall, I loved Divergent, and I loved Insurgent even more. I would obviously only recommend this to people who have read the first book, but overall as a trilogy, I would recommend it to people who liked Hunger Games, and really anyone in general. I could not have loved the book, and it's ending more. You never knew what to expect, there was always something new and shocking waiting on each page. This book was amazing, and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't wait for the third book to come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment