Sunday, January 29, 2012

Traveling to New, Strange Places.... Well, Not Exactly

I realize that the title of my blog this week is a little confusing, but I couldn't figure out what else to call this post. Traveling is exactly what I've been doing. Most of us know the feeling of being absorbed into a book. Becoming the main character, seeing and feeling everything they do. It's amazing what simple words can do, they transport you to entirely different worlds, they make you a different person, if only for a little while. It is honestly one of the best things, to me at least.
I always find it really sad when people say they hate reading. I can't fathom it. Why in the world would you hate discovering new words, places, or people? Almost every time I pick up a book, I get absorbed into it almost instantly. Why would you hate escaping life for a little while, to live someone elses? It just makes absolutely no sense to me.
One of my favorite things about books, other than taking on a new life for a while when I read them, is that more often then not, they show me how good of a life I have. I am so glad that we have the reading, I guess you could call them opportunities, that we have today. I don't know what I'd do without books. As cheesy as that sounds, it's true. Whenever I'm sad or upset, I pick up one of my favorite books, and flip through it, skimming over my favorite parts. It never fails to make me feel better. Okay, that may not be completely true, if I happen to pick up the wrong book, well I guess it's never really wrong, but the wrong book for my mood I just end up feeling even worse than I did before. It's funny the way simple words can take us on emotional roller coasters, when most of the time the subject has no relevance with real problems. But it doesn't matter to me. Without books, my place of escape at times, I don't know what I'd do.
I think about the people who say always having your nose in a book makes you a "nerd" but what's the problem with that? Learning about new places, people, things, events in history, anything. If anything, I think reading shows the dreamers, and the extremely clever people who will eventually change the world.
My least favorite thing about reading a good book? When it ends. When books are truly amazing, they absorb you into the story, and you begin to feel as though you know the characters. Then, you're torn out of the story, the repetitive turning of the pages stops, and you're left there just wishing for more. The best and worst part of that? When you finish a book, often, your world, your life, it doesn't feel real anymore. It feels like the life you were "living" in the book was the real life, and that now as you stop turning the pages, it feels like you have only just begun to turn them. It's an amazing, confusing, bewildering feeling, but great none the less. Now I'm off to go start another book, another story, I guess you could call it another life, and hopefully lose myself in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment