Sunday, March 25, 2012

Great Expectations, and A Few Other Things

Here is my book review on Great Expectations.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is a classic tale written in the 1900s about a young boy and his life's story. When he was a young boy, Pip, -living with his sister and her husband at the blacksmith's forge- is suddenly brought into great wealth, his whole life changes. Pip was never in a situation like it before, so in his new life he finds himself overwhelmed and confused. His expectations change many times throughout the book a different situations unfold, and he finds himself quite different from who he once was.
I thought Great Expectations by Charles Dickens was a good book, but it was boring at the same time. I liked the overall story, and I thought it was interesting, but it moved too slowly for me. I thought it was bring because I felt like a lot if the story was just crawling along, and it was driving me nuts. I had a hard time getting though it.
The book did have a lot of detail in it but that is one if the reasons it seemed bogged down to me. I can picture things really easily, and I often found myself skipping entire paragraphs trying to get through the book faster only to have to backtrack to make sure I wouldn't miss anything.
My top two favorite characters are Wemmick and Joe. They are my favorites because they are both always really kind and helpful to people. They both do whatever they can to help Pip, no matter what the circumstances were. I also rely liked the harsh nature of Estella, but I kept wishing she would all of a sudden turn nice.
My favorite part in the book would probably be when Pip found out who his benefactor was. I liked it because it moved faster than a lot of the book, and because I guessed who the benefactor was.
Overall, I thought that Great Expectations was an okay book. It seemed a little slow to me at times, but I liked the storyline. I would only recommend it to people who have a lot of time and patience for reading books. It did teach me some lessons though, and that is always important. It helped me to learn to appreciate what I have now, instead of being upset over something I don't have.

On a side note, this has been an extremely long week, but a pretty good one. This week I saw Hunger Games, which I just have to say was freaking amazing, and has now become one of my all time favorite movies. I also got my drivers permit. The test was pretty easy, and the wait at the DMV wasn't too bad, but driving for the first time? Yeah, that was pretty nerve wracking. Overall though, it was pretty fun, and I'm pretty excited to get my actual license. Overall, I think it's a pretty good way to start off forth term, so here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment