Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The "Night Circus", a World of Wonder and Mystery


"The circus arrives without warning." are the opening words of "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. So simple, yet holding a world of power within them. Five simple words, and your imagination goes everywhere possible, pulling you along with it. But what is the Night Circus? The Night Circus weaves a new world into your mind, as the story winds along, telling of circus tents filled with Ice Gardens, Wishing Trees, and Cloud Mazes. I absolutely loved "The Night Circus" and the uniqueness of it.
Never before had I read a book like "Night Circus", but I couldn't have loved it more. My favorite character in it was Celia. I loved her because she is different, and I love that she is an illusionist. Ever since I was a little kid I was picking out books filled with magic. Magic has fascinated me since I was little, and I only wish it were possible for the magic in "Night Circus" to be real, or the circus in it to be real.
At times, I was confused about what was going on in the story, because it would tell one part of the story from inside the circus, and then switch to a new character outside of the circus. It was confusing in parts, but when you kept reading, the different stories combined into one single stream of events as the book ended.
Of the tents in "Night Circus"  my favorite was the Ice Garden. It was my favorite because I think it would be way cool to be able to walk through a circus tent filled with a garden made of Ice. I would stay there for hours just watching the way the light would reflect off of the petals of the flowers and the ground even. It would put me almost into a trance because of it's beauty.
One of my favorite parts in the book was when Celia and Marco first meet each other. It was my favorite because I loved the simplicity of the meeting. The meeting started with a simple mistake when Celia grabbed the wrong umbrella, which was Marco's and Marco realizes she took his umbrella and goes to retrieve it. They exchange their umbrella's and go on their way, unaware of the events that will happen in the near future, it's almost ironic that the first time they meet is so simple, and the relationship between the two of them is not.

The name of the circus is "Le Cirque des Reves" which means "the circus of dreams", which is exactly what it is. I love the creativity put into the book, and the idea of the circus itself. I only wish it were real, so I could go and visit it and experience the same things as the "reveur"s of the circus, who were the "extreme fans" of the circus.
Overall I loved the book, and I would definitely recommend it to people. However, I would only recommend it to people who like books about magic, and fantasies, and don't have trouble believing the strange and unknown. It was a very unique book, and I have now added it to my list of favorite books. I would definitely read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment