Sunday, October 09, 2011

Photography? I Think Yes.

Several years ago on Christmas I woke up eagerly with my sisters and ran up the stairs to see what Santa had brought us that year. Looking around the room I saw a giant remote control car sitting on top of the pantry for Abby, a beautiful easel for Carley, Rockband for Emily, a stereo for Madi, and sitting in the corner of the room right next to the front door was a little box wrapped in Santa Clause wrapping paper. At my mom's permission, we all ran to the gifts adorned with our names. (except for Abby who had to wait for her's to be brought down from the top of the pantry. She just got to gaze up at it for the time being.) We all tore into the wrapping paper/ boxes, and I just stared at the little box in my hands. I couldn't believe what I was looking at, the one object I had been asking about for years, a brand new bright pink camera. (Now at the time pink was my absolute favorite color, I was about 7.) I eagerly and quickly opened up the box and pulled out the camera and began to take pictures and play with the settings as fast as possible.
As the morning progressed I still had my camera out snapping hundreds and hundreds of pictures, having no idea what I was doing, until the memory filled up. Later that day I plugged it into the computer and begin to fiddle with the different settings for uploading the pictures. Ever since that Christmas when I got my camera, I have loved photography. (Although there was a time when I barely took any pictures)
In the past year or so, two of my sisters have been trying to make their own photography business, and since then have been pretty successful. They're going to be doing their first wedding soon, and are working on improving their pictures as well using different tools and techniques. I guess you could say photography runs in my family considering the fact that my mom worked as a photographer for a little while. 
About a month or so ago, just a few weeks after school had started, and I had begun to bring my camera to class. (The very same camera I had gotten so many years ago for Christmas) Sadly, after those first few weeks, I misplaced my camera, and to this day, I don't know if it was at home or at school. I have missed my old camera a lot, but my loving sisters bought me a knew one, and I've been learning how to use it since. I still miss my old camera a lot, but I am very grateful to my sisters for buying me a new one that I am beginning to know and love.
Now that I am in a photography class I am learning new tips and tricks to take better pictures, and how to edit them as well. Anyway, here are some of the pictures I've taken in the past month or so, whether as a photography assignment, or just because I wanted to. All the pictures below were taken and edited by me.
 This picture I took in Boston, MA. I didn't have a specific reason to take it but I did,and I think it turned out cool

This was an assignment for photography. We were supposed to use "Kodak's top ten tips"
I think it turned out pretty cool, but I've done better.

This was also taken as an assignment for photography. I saw a box of baseballs, so why wouldn't I take a picture of them?

 This one was really hard to edit, because editing each individual strand of grass on
the baseball plate was really painstaking, but I think the finished result is cool.

 This is another one of my pictures from Boston. This was just a street corner we
drove past that I thought looked cool, so I snapped a picture of it.

 Just a flower I saw during one of our many activities in Boston.

This picture I actually took a few years ago, but I decided to go back through and edit.
All I really did was change the contrast. I took this in Moab, UT at Dead Horse Point.

I love how this one looks like the dandelion is floating in the clouds.
I just saw the reflection of the clouds in the puddle and thought it would look
cool with a dandelion in it. After a little bit of editing, it was perfect.

This picture is one of my all time favorites that I've done recently. I was just walking around my
backyard and picked up a flower and some leaves to use as a backdrop. I think it turned out well.

This picture was taken at Louisa May Alcott's House in Boston, MA. It is the knocker and
bell on the front door. I love that the knocker is a lion.

This was taken from the field of my school, and it was a pretty hard shot to get considering
the traffic on the road, and of course the distance. You can't really tell, but I also edited some
power lines out of the picture as well.

 This was one of the first pictures I took when I got my second camera and was 
playing around with the macro. I love the contrast of the bee and the flower.

This was just a little flower I saw growing in the middle of a field and thought would make
a cool picture. I think I was mostly right.


 This picture was originally taken on one of my old phones, hence the bad quality.
It was a sunset at Pineview Reservoir, And I just tried to brighten the color a little bit. 
Not quite sure it worked so well though.

I've seen pictures of really cool leaves covered with water droplets and I wanted to imitate that,
so I choose a Hosta leaf because they are huge, and it of course, had water drops on it.

This was part of an assignment for photography. The assignment was that we had to
take four pictures of things in the classroom. This was one of them.

This was another one of my pictures for the assignment of things in the classroom.

Also one of my all time favorites. It's a simple sink fauset turned very eye catching by messing around with the contrast of the photo.

Another one of the "items in a room" assignment. I wanted a black and white picture of a chair, and I got one. I think it turned out pretty well.

I loved the bark on this tree and how curly it was, so I took a picture and then played with some editing tools.

This was another one of my pictures where I just walked around my backyard, picked up some objects, and then arranged them and took a picture. In case you're wondering, the odd texture in the background is the mat of a trampoline.
This one I think is my absolute all time favorite. I love how the water and the sky look like paper, giving the whole picture a very... Artistic look. I don't think I could love this picture more.

This picture came about quite oddly. I found this flower, then walked around the backyard wondering where I should take a picture of it. As I was walking by a tree I was blinded by the sun, and then thought it would be really cool to get the sun spot behind the flower, but with the leaves in the tree as a backdrop. So i stuck the flower it a branch and wiggled it around until it stayed so I could take the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment