Saturday, October 01, 2011

Blogging from Boston, Where the History Just Keeps Coming

History always manages to astound me. From the fascinating architecture, to the bridges, to the historic buildings and sites. We've gone to Louisa May Alcott's house, John Alden's house, countless other historical sites, and it never ceased to amaze me how much history can exist in one tiny little state.

In Massachusetts there was several great writers like the Bronte sisters, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and my favorite, Louisa May Alcott. Louisa wrote many books when she was alive, and as I learned today, she based one of her most famous books: "Little Women" on her very own family.As we walked through the Alcott house, I kept looking around, amazed at the history, and the fact that the building was still in such pristine condition. What amazed me the most was that while on the tour, the guide told us that 80% of the belongings and furniture in the house actually belonged to the Alcott family.

Along the tour we came to the parlor, with a small couch with a small long orange pillow. As we listened to the guide, she told us that this pillow had a very unique story. The story went something like this: "A story passed down through generations of Alcott's descendants concerns Louisa's  'Sausage' pillow and its use as a family signal. When the pillow was placed upright on the couch, it meant that Louisa was happy. But when the pillow was on its side, the observer had best beware, for Louisa was in one of her 'moods.'" That direct telling of the story came from a little tag from my very own "mood pillow", purchased at Louisa May Alcott's house. When Louisa was in her writing "Vortex" as she called it, the pillow would be on it's side. If she was disturbed it has been told that she could be very irritable. Now that I have my very own "mood pillow" I can let others know when to beware of me and my moods.

Another place we visited was John Alden's house. This fascinated me so much because my family has been able to trace our tree back, and we found that we are actually descendants of John Alden. Walking through the house I couldn't help but notice how you weren't aloud to take pictures or videos. It made me a little bit sad because pictures and videos are the best way to show off what adventures and amazing experiences you have been on, it's sad, but it's the way it is and the rules were the same in Louisa May Alcott's house. Walking through the house made me wish that I could find/create some sort of time machine so I could go back in time and witness the lives of people like John Alden, Louisa May Alcott and her family, and many others.

Massachusetts has the most amazing history filled with many course changing battles, the Salem Witch Trials, and others of course. I hope that one day when I'm older I'll be able to take my kids here to Boston, Concord, Norwood, and Massachusetts as a whole. Thanks to my mom and my step-dad Bill, 3 of my sisters and I, along with my parents of course, have had the amazing opportunity to travel across Massachusetts making many memories that I'll never forget. I only wish we weren't missing some of our "troop". We love and miss you Madi and Ashley!

P.S: I will post pictures later, because I have a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment