Sunday, October 16, 2011

Finding Different Perspectives

When The Help came out as a movie, my family and I was so excited to see the movie of the book we new and loved. It's been a constant topic around the house since we heard that it was becoming a movie. Somewhere in the book it said something along the lines of " if you are in a hard patch in life, try to find a different perspective" Now that is a very bad recitation of the quote, but I couldn't find it elsewhere. Lately I've been talking to one of my friends who has been going through a rough time, and it makes me realize how lucky I am to have such a great family who loves and supports me in every way. Everyday I read posts from people on a website called Gives Me Hope that has posts from people who have seen or witnessed an inspirational event. I always get really sad when I get to the end of the page or to posts that I have already read. One post that I read recently said: 

                                        "My roommate, who is struggling to even
                                         buy food went on a run yesterday.

                                         When she got back I noticed she didn't
                                         have the sweatshirt she was wearing
                                         when she left.

                                         I asked her where it went,she said she
                                         came across a homeless man and that a 
                                         5 mile run in the cold is nothing
                                         compared to a night in it.

                                         Her love and compassion for others GMH."

Reading this website makes me realize that maybe the world isn't as bad as we always see on the news. It makes me realize that maybe one day we won't have to hear about wars or crimes. Reading this website everyday GMH that one day we can change our world to be a better safer place for everyone.
Back to the main subject of this blog though, this website can really change your perspective on life, whether it is raising your appreciation for you family, your home, your friends, or your community, it really does change you.


As I'm writing this blog post, I'm watching 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' with my family. In the episode a family in New York has 2 kids. One of their kids was born with dwarfism, but the Korpai's house was not safe for Hailey, their daughter with dwarfism. Ty Pennington and his crew built a house for them that was safe for their daughter. The Korpai family started a program for raising awareness about dwarfism, called "Understanding Dwarfism", and Ty Pennington and his crew made it possible for them to continue their awareness program, and invite others into their home for "Understanding Dwarfism" events. The Korpais now have a much safer home for their daughter. If you want to learn more about dwarfism, visit their website here.

Everyday, somewhere someone loses their best friend, their mom, their sibling, their dad. Our world is surronded with loss, but with things like Gives Me Hope, and Kids Give Me Hope, and Love Gives Me Hope each day can be made just a little bit easier for someone who may be going through a rough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment