Sunday, December 18, 2011

Letters for Literature Contest Entry



For an assignment in one of my classes, we had to enter this contest. This was the letter I wrote for it.

Dear Jay Asher,
            In the past year, I read your book, 13 Reasons Why, and it completely changed my outlook on life and self harm. Just a few years ago, when I was about 10 or 11, my best friend, since kindergarten, texted me saying he cut himself. A little naive and not wanting to think about the options, I asked him how, and then hoped he would say it had been an accident while he was making dinner. He didn’t. When I was thrown headfirst into the knowledge of self harm, I was shocked, afraid, and worried.
            I no longer talk to that friend, and every day I worry that he might still do self harm. That’s why your book means so much to me. As I read the book, I think I was just as shocked as Clay when he heard the thoughts going through Hannah’s head as she explained her reasons for suicide. The story captured me and managed to terrify me and captivate me at the same time.
            Your book made me think harder about the reasons why people often resort to self harm and suicide. At the time my friend told me, I didn’t understand, I was naive, so I could never completely help him. Now, if we still talked, I think I could help him through it.
            As the tapes went on, I grew more and more shocked. Then it was Clay’s turn and I sobbed right along with him. Each word Hannah said tore into his heart, and then mine as well. It made me realize the importance of speaking out even when you’re afraid. I’m trying to get back in touch with my friend because we haven’t talked since we were about 13, so a little less than 3 years ago. If he were to still commit self harm, or consider suicide, I would blame myself for it, just like Clay did. It would be like I unconsciously sat back and watched as he self corrupted.
            Your book has also helped me through a lot of hard times, while it’s not a happy upbeat book, it’s real and relatable. Whenever I’m in a hard patch, I pick up your book. Most of the time I flip to Clay’s tape, and sob the whole way through it. It made me realize that even though I may feel alone sometimes, there’s always someone out there that cares. I just have to wait the tough spots out and be strong, for those who do.
            Your book has inspired me to never let anyone go on without knowing that they are loved. Every day I tell me friends how my I appreciate and care  about them, I tell my family how much I love them, and I tell myself that even though it might not always feel like people understand me or care, they do and every day should be lived like it’s your last. Many people consider people who self harm pathetic, or weak, but really they just need help, but are too afraid to ask. Thank you for showing me how valuable life is, and that I need to try to reach out to people, even though I may not always be comfortable. Your words inspired me to be a better person overall, and I am so glad I read your book. It gave me a different and better outlook on things.
Sincerely,
 A Constant Reader (No, on the letter, I did not sign as this. It had my name, but since the internet is dangerous, this is what you get to see.)

No comments:

Post a Comment